Friday, August 28, 2009

She's cooking!

At my doctor's appointment on Friday, the nurse practitioner told me that I was 50-70% effaced and 1 cm. dilated. I guess that means (by some definitions) that I am in early labor, or stage 1, but before you all get excited, nothing is imminent, and lots of people are at this stage for weeks before they give birth. (And hey, nurse practitioner? Saying "You'll feel a little pressure" isn't the most accurate description of a cervical exam. Just so you know.)

I have to admit that I don't feel very anxious or particularly impatient for this baby to get here. I want to make sure that she comes out when she's totally ready, and we've still got a few days until her due date. Of course I have no real clue because this is my first baby, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a while longer. I think that the fact that we're really going to have a baby isn't going to hit me until we check into the hospital; we're going to go in as a family of two, and come out as a family of three. I've had nine months of slowly getting ready for parenthood, and while I feel as prepared as I can be, having a baby has been something that's been abstract and in the future for so long that the idea that I could be a mom tomorrow or next week STILL seems incredibly unlikely. I mean, I could give birth to a large melon, and it would make about as much sense as giving birth to a fully formed little human does to me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment